Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tuesday Tutorial with our Guest Designer

Hey everyone! Today I'm sharing a fun little tutorial using the chipboard frames that came in the April main kit. If you've seen the layouts I created with the kit, you might have noticed that I altered the frames on 2 of the 3 layouts.
 
 
 
1. Begin by gathering your supplies. You will need acrylic paint, white misting spray, a paintbrush, an embossing folder (and a machine to run it thru), and the chipboard frames that you wish to alter. 
 
 
 
 
2. Working on a scrap piece of paper, or something you don't mind getting messy, paint your chipboard frame with the desired color of acrylic paint. I would suggest using at least 2 coats, although you might find that you need 3 coats. The color I chose happened to be a pearl paint, so it was pretty thick and needed just 2 coats. Some paints will be thinner, and need an extra coat. Let the painted frame dry fully before proceeding to the next step.
 
 
 
 
3. Once the paint is fully dry, place your frame inside an embossing folder and run it thru your die cut machine to emboss.
 
 
 
 
4. Doesn't the embossing add SOOOOO much more interest to the painted frame! I'm a huge sucker for anything dotted.
 
 
 
 
5. You can certainly stop at this point and enjoy your painted frame. However, I wanted to add a little something else to it, so that it didn't appear as "flat" to the eye.
 
 
 
 
6. I placed my painted frame inside my "misting box" (just an old box that I've been using for at least two years now for misting), and spritzed the frame with some white misting spray.
 
 
 
 
7. And here's the final result! Altering the chipboard frames allowed me to coordinate them to my individual projects and added more color and texture as well.  
 
 
 

2 comments: